Each year an extraordinary father figure joins a prestigious list of previous award winners.
Since 1956, the Victorian Father of the Year award has recognised father-figures who have made positive contributions to the lives of young people and their communities.
This page features a list of past recipients from the awards seven decade history. Each winner is listed against their year with the title they held at the time of winning.
The award previously focused on recognising well-known community leaders. That is why you'll see prominent figures like Andrew Gaze and Bert Newton listed below.
In recent years, the focus has switched to providing a platform for everyday father figures with extraordinary stories.
Do you know an extraordinary father figure who deserves to join these ranks? We encourage you to nominate them for the 2021 award.
Awarded for showing unwavering support and dedication to his family. Stephen resides in Sunshine has been a driver for Metro trains for over four decades.
Awarded for his story of sacrifice, determination and strength while looking after his baby boy who was battling cancer.
Awarded for his resilience and commitment to family through adversity. Jason was nominated by his teenage daughters.
Awarded for overcoming adversity and understanding the importance of family. “If you have love, you have it all.”
Full list of past winners
- 2019 Christopher Youngman, Drouin
- 2018 Sundeep Jadhav, Heidelberg
- 2017 Jason Stacks, Geelong
- 2016 Terry Mitropoulos, Eltham
- 2015 Abubeker Mohamed, Wonthaggi
- 2014 Adam Strathairn, Wyndham Vale
- 2013 Kevin Kurrle, Wangaratta
- 2012 Romeo Biancofiore, St Albans
- 2011 Andrew Streader, Pakenham
- 2010 Chris Berry, Euroa
- 2009 Bruce Maya, Labertouche
- 2008 James Tomkins, Olympic Rower
- 2006 Steve Moneghetti, Athlete
- 2005 Dr Rob Moodie
- 2004 Andrew Gaze, Basketball Legend
- 2003 Tommy Hafey, AFL Football Legend
- 2002 Barry Novy, Royal Children’s Hospital – Foundation
- 2001 Prof. David de Kretser, Director Men’s Health Monash
- 2000 Paul Salmon, AFL Footballer
- 1999 Dr John Potter Masterton, Foundation Director, Alfred Burns Unit
- 1998 Doug Hawkins, AFL Footballer
- 1997 Neil Mitchell, Media Commentator
- 1996 Kevan Gosper, International Olympic Committee
- 1995 Bob Rose, AFL Legend
- 1994 Frank Green, Former Asst. Commissioner Victoria Police
- 1993 Tim Watson, AFL Footballer
- 1992 Lindsay Gaze, Basketball Legend
- 1991 Michael Tuck, AFL Footballer
- 1990 Mark Mitchell, entertainer
- 1989 Jeff Crouch, Director RCH Good Friday Appeal
- 1988 Brian Naylor, TV Newsreader
- 1987 Bishop Peter Hollingworth, Brotherhood of St Laurence
- 1986 Kevin Bartlett AM, Richmond AFL Club
- 1985 Bob Moors, Director Moomba Festival
- 1984 Ken Stone, Trade Union Leader
- 1983 S.I. (Mick) Miller MVO, OStI, QPM, Chief Comm. Victoria Police
- 1982 Ron Clarke MBE, Olympian
- 1981 Dr. Bruce Ford, Geriatric Medicine
- 1980 Bert Newton OBE, television identity
- 1979 Rev. Joseph Giacobbe, Founder and Director Doxa Youth Welfare Foundation
- 1978 Rev. Ian G. Ellis MD, F.F.A.R.A.C.S.
- 1977 Dr. G.C. Mullins MD F.F.A.R.A.C.S.
- 1976 Ronald J. Walker CBE, Lord Mayor of Melbourne
- 1975 Kevin Heinze, Gardening Expert
- 1974 Neale Fraser, Davis Cup Captain
- 1973 Geoff Handbury, President of Legacy
- 1972 Rev. Denis Oakley, Director of Tally Ho Boys Home
- 1971 Bob Hawke, President of ACTU
- 1970 The Hon. L.H.S. Thompson CMG, MP Minister of Education
1960's and 1950s
The Victorian Father of the Year award was founded in 1956. Our record of past winners from these "early days" is incomplete.
If you know of any missing winners from the fifties or sixties, we encourage you to notify us.
- 1969 John Birrell, Police Surgeon
- 1968 The Rt. Hon. Lord Casey, KB, PC, GCMG, CH, DSO, MCKStJ, Governor-General
- 1967 Ian F. Beaurepaurie CMG, Lord Mayor of Melbourne 1965-6
- 1966 To be confirmed
- 1965 To be confirmed
- 1964 Norman J James
- 1963 To be confirmed
- 1962 Pastor Sir Douglas Ralph ‘Doug’ Nicholls KCVO OBE
- 1961 To be confirmed
- 1960 To be confirmed
- 1959 To be confirmed
- 1958 Percival Langdon Bazeley (Val), Orbost, Pioneer of Polio Vaccine in Australia
- 1957 To be confirmed
- 1956 To be confirmed